Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The White Room

I have to discuss the "White Room" as my husband calls it. We have a back porch/mudroom. It used to be a room without windows, just a summer porch. Before I moved in with him, my husband finished it off with electric heat, windows, sheetrock the works. As is was formerly a sunny summer porch, there is a lot of windows (9 to be exact), on all sides. Although, my normally very opinionated self would have spoken up about how to decorate the room, I did not want to stifle my husbands vision of the "White Room." I mean, I had just won the battle of getting rid of most of his furniture and keeping my (more tasteful) furniture. Not to say his furniture wasn't nice, but it suffered years of abuse by my husband's brother and his frat roomies who rented my husband's house while he was in Germany for a year- so it had to go! Really, I am not the bitch, who made him get rid of everything that was his...I digress, back to the "White Room." This room - my husband painted everything white, the walls, the trim and he finished it off with white blinds. He finished it off, with a tiny white faux bearskin rug from IKEA. The only thing he did not have was white furniture. Did I mention - we had just purchased a medium sized, black lab, greyhound mix? I did talk him out of white furniture - we agreed that was not so great for a house with animals.


Well, as you can imagine, an all white mudroom, did not fair so well in our busy household - and this was pre-baby! Eventually, I painted the wall underneath the windows brown, soon to be replaced with chalkboard paint to enhance my son's creative freedom. So now only the white trim and white wood blinds remain. The white blinds need cleaning at least three times a year - this morning it took me an hour to clean three. How the heck does dog hair pile up on the blinds anyways? We got these blinds, because they were marketed as great for household with pets. Really, meticulously wiping the blinds is better than taking a curtain down and throwing it in the wash? Doubt it. I am seriously thinking the white blinds have to go, but I feel I am slowly wiping away the last room my husband decorated on his own, thus snuffing out his creativity. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment